Nicole Flockton

Be whatever you want to be.

08 February 2006

Proud Kindergarten Mum!

Well my baby girl Skylar started kindy last week. It was so cute to see her in her school uniform and yes I'm unashamed to admit I was shedding a few tears as I was driving home after I dropped her off.

So she was happy to see me when I picked her up. The next day she went off and gave the teacher a hug and I left her again.

Now in one of my earlier blogs I'd mentioned that she was going to my old school. I never realised just how proud I was to actually attend that school until I saw her in the uniform and I dropped her off there.

I won't say that I loved school, in fact until recently I would have told you that I didn't like it. But looking back I'd have to say that I enjoyed the school I just wish things could have a been a bit different on the friend front and I hadn't flitted so much and if I could do things over I'd do them differently. But I probably would have a finished school at the same time as I don't regret leaving school at 15.

Today Skylar had her first Japanese lesson. Yep she is learning Japanese and she is only 3 1/2. But they say that this is a great time to teach a language as their minds are like sponges and just soak everything up.

So I was looking at her journal and there was a sticker in there saying that she'd learnt to say hello to her teacher "Sensei Ohayou" (Sensay O-High-O). So I pronounce it and she proudly says it back to me.

Later on I looked again at the sticker and it mentioned that they learnt the song "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes". So again I pronounce the words only to hear her start to sing it. She sang the whole song!

I couldn't believe it I was amazed and proud and just bursting wanting to tell someone. DH is away so I couldn't tell him.

So after a week I think about what might have been. The scenario is if I hadn't been working fulltime I probably would have settled for the school up the road even though I didn't like the teacher. I would have reasoned, its only for one year. But because I'm working fulltime and something the director of the daycare centre that the kids go to said to me some months before I looked into sending her to my old school.

Yes its expensive. Yes I have to buy a school uniform and accessories. Yes I miss out on taking her and picking her up from school. But and its a huge BUT after one week she can sing a song in another language. Sure its only Head Shoulders Knees and Toes but still its an amazing effort.

So to me it's her education and it's worth the sacrifice I have to make to work fulltime. I'd give up work tomorrow but at the moment that's not a likely scenario.

I know that in the future I will be able to take her and pick her up and then later on take my son and pick him up too.

But seeing her at my old school, in a uniform, although different to the one I wore and was proud to wear, that she is proud to wear also it is the best feeling.

JN

3 Comments:

  • At 11:41 am , Blogger Cole Reising said...

    Nicki - I love hearing the love in your words for your kids. We pay extra to have our kids go to a private school here and though we catch flack for it at times I'm extremly pleased that we do for similar reasons that you have listed. Somethings are just worth the extra money.

    Cole

     
  • At 1:54 pm , Blogger Katrina Glover said...

    That's so cool, Nicki!

    She looks so big and happy in her school uniform. I'm sure she's going to love every minute there!

     
  • At 7:11 pm , Blogger Nicole Flockton said...

    Thanks Guys.

    Yep Cole we've had comments about how that surely sending her to a private school will cost more than Daycare.

    But they don't know how much I pay for fulltime daycare!!

    And I'm so glad we are going to pay the extra to send her to that school.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home