Nicole Flockton

Be whatever you want to be.

29 November 2005

Natural Birth vs C-Section

A hot topic to some to others a cold topic.

Where I live we have the highest rate of C-Sections (I would spell it in full but don't have a dictionary handy) in the country. And I will say now both my children were born by C-Section. The first because she was breech which generally means that subsequent births are by the same method.

I had given serious thought to giving birth the "natural" way with my second but with the chance of scar tissue rupturing and other possible problems down the track I decided not to. Also, as it turned out, my boy was big so I'm glad I didn't have to squeeze him out. LOL

Not once and I can honestly say this, have I ever, ever felt cheated and didn't do the right thing by my kids. I will say for my daugther, that with her sitting breech with legs extended, C-Section was the only option. It was far safer for her to be taken that way than the "natural" way. If I was in this situation 40 years ago, there is every chance the my daughter and I would not have made it.

So why the feeling of being cheated? I just can't understand why you felt cheated when in the end you and your child might be cheated out of life. Isn't the most important thing the health and well being of yourself and your child?

Throughout my first pregnancy all I wanted to do was, what was best for my child and giving birth which ever way would have been fine with me. So long as I had a happy baby and I was healthy to look after it.

I guess alot of people would be worried about the pain side of it all, as a C-Section is major surgery. Again I think it depends on the person and how they handle pain. Someone giving birth the natural way may still be in pain or discomfort days after and then there could be someone who had had a C-Section and was up and off pain relief the very next day.

The reason for my blog is that a girl at work has a friend who is pregnant with her second. Had a scan recently showing the placenta lying low so covering the birth canal - result possible C-Section if the placenta doesn't move. She is disappointed that she has to have one. As far as I know she gave birth naturally the first time.

My dad is a big advocate of C-Sections. He says if you can do it why not. I will say I still have my pelvic floor muscles which is a plus to having a C-Section. LOL

I think the most amazing thing off all is to actually be able to fall pregnant. There are so many women out there who have so much trouble falling pregnant or even can't fall pregnant that the feeling of being 'cheated' just because you had to have a C-Section kind of falls by the wayside.

I feel totally blessed that I have 2 children and in the end giving birth to them is just the start of your life with your kids. It really does fade into insignificance when you have all the other things you can share with them throughout their lives.

On a final note I'm not saying that it's right or wrong either way. And I'm certainly not bagging anyone who has given birth naturally, the end result is the same. A baby to hold in your arms. All I'm saying is that I don't understand the frustration or disappointment that is felt by others.

This is just the way I feel and I welcome anyone who has comments either way on it.

JN

1 Comments:

  • At 12:06 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I just recently found out that I am pregnant! I am very excited, as is my husband but I never had even considered a natural birth (scary bits of movies and horrible rumors basically scare the crap out of me) lol but today I decided to be open minded and do a little research. i was shocked to see and read sooo many blogs that women have posted bashing women who decide to have C sections! I agree with you completely about the choice, and mainly the end result of holding a beautiful baby! thank you for giving women like me(who consider C sections a real option) hope and not making us feel like the scum of the earth like other "natural" sites have!

    thank you so much!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home