Nicole Flockton

Be whatever you want to be.

18 August 2005

Pets vs Humans

Interesting title you may say, well yes it is.

Today started out like any ordinary day for me. Woke up early and fed Zane. Then something out of the ordinary happens ... the phone rang. Not unusual you say? Well for us a little, we don't get too many calls. LOL Anyway Jason is out riding and the time of the call is 6.40am. Immediate thoughts go to Jason and something happened on his ride. He fell off last week so I do think the worse.

No it's my mum.....

Ringing to tell me that my uncle passed away overnight. Now he is my dad's younger brother and had the early stages of dementia. So in effect it was a blessing that he passed on quickly. But still a shock and brings home the preciousness of life.

So what does this have to do with Pets?

Well I get online and receive an email from a friend who's dog has just been diagnosed with cancer and they have to put him down and its so hard to say goodbye.

I feel for her because our cat was hit by a car last year and we had to make the decision to operate or not. We chose not to. We chose to have him put down to save him the pain of an operation.

But just because Theodore was a cat doesn't mean the loss was any easier to take. Losses of pets are just like a loss of an uncle or aunt. They are family and bring something special to the family dynamics.

The thing I find interesting is how is it that we can chose to take the suffering away from an animal, to let them not suffer the pain and indignity of a debilitating disease but with people we aren't allowed to?

It is such a senstive subject and one I don't want to start arguments over. Each perspective on the subject is so different and that's what makes up the world. It was just as I was typing this blog that the irony of the situation hit me, and I wonder.....

RIP Uncle Raymond.

JN

4 Comments:

  • At 1:17 pm , Blogger Katrina Glover said...

    (((HUGS)))

    Glad he went quickly, Nicki. Watching someone go can be so hard so sometimes its a blessing in disguise for it to be sudden.

    (((HUGS))) again just 'cause.

     
  • At 6:52 pm , Blogger THIS! Christine said...

    It is a very sensitive issue with some, but you addressed it beautifully.
    So big hugs to you and what you're going through right now. In many cases for those of us who perhaps aren't as affected by the death, all we can do is offer support for those that are.
    And especial big hugs to Tara having to say goodbye to Kai (whom I've met).

     
  • At 1:26 pm , Blogger Jenne said...

    Ah Nicki, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Here, we were all prepared for my dad's older brother to die last Monday, and then he had a truly miraculous turn around. So I know what you're saying about thinking how precious life is.

     
  • At 3:58 am , Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

    big hugs, nicki - touchy subject, and you addressed it wonderfully.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home